2018 Silhouette Crafter’s Gift Guide – Part 1
Machines, Tools, Specialty Items (and other fun stuff)
This site includes affiliate links. If you purchase from these links you will not pay more for the product, but I may earn a small commission which helps defray the costs of keeping the site running. I am also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn commissions by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I appreciate your support!
Black Friday and Cyber Monday have come and gone, but there are still plenty of shopping days left in this holiday season. Need some help knowing what to buy the Silhouette crafter on your gift list? I’m here to help with the 2018 Silhouette Crafter’s Gift Guide!
Included in the guide you’ll find a mix of Silhouette “must-haves” along with items that are simply nice to have or just plain fun! In today’s post you’ll find a list of the basics along with some specialty media, items geared specifically to the Curio user, and even a section for the crafter who runs a small business. In Part 2 (coming next week) the lists will be geared toward paper crafting, glass etching, fabric cutting, and working with heat transfer vinyl. If you’re a Silhouette crafter, share the posts with your significant other or anyone who’ll be shopping with you in mind this holiday season!
Note: I purchase most of my Silhouette supplies from either Silhouette America, Amazon.com, or Swing Design. Many (but not all) of the product links included in this post are affiliate links. By purchasing through these links, you help support Caught by Design without any additional cost to you. In cases where items are available from multiple suppliers, I’ve provided a link to the lowest price as of this writing. Thank you for your support!
The Silhouette Crafter’s Gift Guide
Machines, Tools, and Specialty Items
This year the Cameo 3 is available in not only Classic White, but also a wide array of colors including Aqua Blue, Mint Green, Slate Grey, Teal/Silver, Glitter Pink, Black/Gold and Blush Pink.
(Be sure to also check out my post on the 10 “Hidden” Features of the Silhouette Cameo 3.)
- Classic White
- Aqua Blue
- Mint Green
- Slate Grey
- Teal/Silver (Swing Design Exclusive)
- Glitter Pink (Swing Design Exclusive)
- Black/Gold (Swing Design Exclusive)
- Blush Pink (Michaels Exclusive)
If you’re in the market for a smaller machine, the Portrait 2 is a great option.
- For weeding: Silhouette hook, pointed tweezers (another one of my favorite items!), Harbor Freight test probes, or dental tools
- Pick-me-up Tool (great for picking up those small bits of vinyl)
- NEW! Pink Tool Set (includes spatula, scraper, Silhouette hook, pick-me-up tool, 6″ ruler, and microfiber cloth)
- Dust Cover
- Cameo 3 in grey or pink
- Cameo 2
- Portrait & Portrait 2
Nice to Have
When you’re ready to go beyond the basics, here are a few things that will help you step up your Silhouette game.
- Software Upgrades – the Basic Edition of Silhouette Studio is powerful software and available as a free download at https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software. However, upgrading to a higher version unlocks some really great features. If you’d like to read a comparison of the different levels of Silhouette Studio software, check out this post.
(I also have a beautiful custom-made tote which I purchased on Etsy.)
It’s so much fun to experiment with new materials! These are just of a few of the many types of specialty media available from Silhouette America. To see even more, click here.
- Leatherette Sheets (perfect for making faux leather earrings!)
- Printable Foil in gold, silver, or rose gold
- Printable Magnet Paper
- Printable Vinyl
- Printable Sticker Paper in white or clear
- Glitter Sticker Sheets
- Scratch-Off Sticker Paper in silver, gold, or printable
- Glow-in-the-Dark Sticker Paper
- Printable Adhesive Kraft Paper
- Printable Tattoo Paper
- Tattoo Paper – white, gold, or silver
Curio Users (and those that want to be!)
The Curio is a great companion to the Cameo or Portrait. It features a cutting depth of 2mm and can accept media up to 5mm thick for etching, stippling, embossing, and debossing. Its operation differs from the Silhouette Cameo or Portrait in that it uses platforms that are stacked onto a base rather than a roller system using a flexible mat. The small base that comes with the Curio machine accepts materials up to 8.5 inches wide x 6 inches long. The addition of a large base allows for projects up to 12 inches in length.
- Curio Machine
- Large Base Set
- PixScan (Curio – small base)
- PixScan (Curio – large base)
- Stippling & Etching Tool
- Metal Etching Sheets
- Metal Stippling Sheets
- Acrylic Blanks
- Score & Emboss Paper (5 in x 7 in)
- Score & Emboss Paper (8.5 in x 11 in)
- Dust Cover in blue or natural
For the Small Business Crafter
Running a small business with your Silhouette may mean that you’re photographing product or filming videos from time to time. These tools will make those jobs much easier!
- AmazonBasics Portable Photo Studio
- Remarkable Creators Phone and Table Stand with Ring Light Bundle (Use code caughtbydesign to save 20% sitewide at Arkon.com!)
Admittedly, this is the most expensive item on the list (and one that I almost didn’t include because of the price), but if you find yourself drowning in receipts or other paperwork, a scanner is a great way to start a paperless organizing system. I own this model myself and considered it for two or three years before I finally made the purchase. I’m so glad I took the plunge because it’s been a great tool for me and has helped me streamline both my business and my personal recordkeeping. And less paperwork means more time and space for crafting ;).
Summing it Up
That’s quite a list, isn’t it? And we’re just getting started! Is there something on YOUR Silhouette wish list that I missed? I’d love to know about it! Leave me a comment below or visit me over on Facebook. And don’t forget to come back next week and check out the 2018 Silhouette Crafter’s Gift Guide, Part 2.
Until next time,
P.S. – Each week I share tips, tricks, tutorials, and other information to help you on your Silhouette journey. Be sure to subscribe to the blog so you don’t miss a single one! Looking for a hands-on class or interested in scheduling a private lesson? Contact me for more information.
This post contains affiliate advertising. This means that if you click on a link in the post, I may make a commission based on your purchase. The price you pay for the product or service is not higher, and the commissions I earn help keep Caught by Design online. Thanks for your support!
Lycia is a lifelong crafter whose goal is to help others find value, confidence, and joy in whatever they create. She geeks out on using technology to supercharge craft projects with Silhouette Studio, Design Space, Glowforge, sublimation, etc.! Lycia teaches these skills and more through online tutorials and videos as well as in-person classes at both the local and national levels.