Every now and then, Silhouette America challenges their affiliates to a little friendly competition. So when they put out a call for gift wrap ideas to make using a Silhouette machine or Silhouette materials, I was excited to see what I could come up with!
The rules for the challenge were pretty basic – create some type of gift wrapping and include a gift tag – but I added a couple of additional guidelines for myself. I wanted something that required only basic materials, could be made on either a Cameo or Portrait machine (any model), and would be decorative enough without a bow if the package needed to be mailed.
After I had a general idea in mind, I took it one step further and decided to use the same design three different ways:
- Paper Pieced
- Print & Cut
- Layered Adhesive Vinyl
Are you new to the Silhouette world and need help getting started? Check out my online course Getting Started with Your Silhouette: First Steps to Silhouette Success! It will boost your crafting confidence and get you well on your way to creating beautiful things with your Silhouette!
Find out more here!
Note: This post contains affiliate advertising. This means that if you click on a link, I may make a commission based on your purchase but the price you pay for the product or service is the same. Your support means that I can continue to bring you tutorials, sales information, and articles such as these and I greatly appreciate it!
Once you start looking around the Silhouette Design Store, you’ll find soooo many designs that work well for this project! Since I wanted to create the project several different ways, I chose an image by Lori Whitlock because she offers a wide variety of files that incorporate many of the same graphics.
I selected three different files with the same Santa Claus image, but you could start with Design #105697 (A2 Santa Shaped Card) and modify it in Silhouette Studio to create not only the paper-pieced gift topper but also the print & cut sticker and the layered vinyl gift tag as well.
Gift Wrap Idea #1: Paper Pieced Gift Topper
- A2 Santa Shaped Card by Lori Whitlock, Silhouette Design Store ID #105697
- Cardstock (black, white, yellow, red, fleshtone, green)
- Adhesive (I used Art Glitter Glue)
- Foam Adhesive Dots
- Open the file in Silhouette Studio.
- Delete the card base.
- Select the remaining elements and resize as desired. (Be sure to resize ALL elements at the same time!)
- Cut all pieces from cardstock and assemble the Santa Claus.
- Attach to package using foam adhesive dots.
Gift Wrap Idea #2: Print & Cut Sticker
- Easy Print + Cut Tag Santa Claus by Lori Whitlock, Silhouette Design Store ID #163231
- Silhouette Glitter Sticker Sheets (White)
- Silhouette Metallic Adhesive Vinyl (optional)
- Open up a new page in Silhouette Studio. Set the dimensions to match your printer (usually 8.5 in x 11 in) and add registration marks to the page by pressing M on your keyboard. In the Page Setup Panel, check the boxes for both Show Print Border and Show Cut Border.
- Open the file and ungroup.
- Delete the tag shape.
- Resize the print & cut image as desired.
- Print on glitter sticker paper and cut on the Silhouette.
- Add a strip of metallic adhesive vinyl to the package to simulate ribbon. Apply sticker on top.
Other helpful Print & Cut posts:
The Basics of Print & Cut using your Silhouette
How to Turn a Layered Design into a Print & Cut
Gift Wrap Idea #3: Layered Vinyl Gift Tag
- Gift Card Holder Tag Santa by Lori Whitlock, Silhouette Design Store ID #167914
- Merry Christmas Handwritten by Loni Harris, Silhouette Design Store ID #70110
- Adhesive Vinyl (black, white, red, green, fleshtone)
- Transfer Tape
- Metal Gift Tag
- Open both files on the same design page in Silhouette Studio.
- Ungroup the Gift Card Holder Tag Santa file.
- Delete the two parts of the gift card holder.
- Select the remaining elements and resize as desired. (Be sure to resize ALL elements of the Santa at the same time!)
- Cut all pieces from adhesive vinyl. (I modified the Santa design a bit before cutting to eliminate bulk.)
- Layer the vinyl to create the decal and use transfer tape to apply decal to the metal tag.
I hope these three gift wrap ideas using your Silhouette have inspired you to create some of your own! If you have any questions, leave a comment below or come visit me in the Silhouette Crafters by Design Facebook group. And be sure to check out the Silhouette 101 blog for even more inspiration!
Like what you see here? Share the image below to Pinterest!
Until next time…happy wrapping!