Last week I posted Part 1 of my 2018 Silhouette Crafter’s Gift Guide that included several basic Silhouette supplies along with some specialty media and “nice to have” items. (If you missed that post, you can find it here.) This week in Part 2, I’m focusing on items for paper crafting, glass etching, fabric cutting, and working with heat transfer vinyl. As a bonus, I’ve included a free printable that will help you drop a few hints to Santa about what you’d like to find under your own tree on Christmas morning!
Note: I purchase most of my Silhouette supplies from either Silhouette America, Amazon.com, or Swing Design. Many (but not all) of the product links included in this post are affiliate links. By purchasing through these links, you help support Caught by Design without any additional cost to you. In cases where items are available from multiple suppliers, I’ve provided a link to the lowest price as of this writing. Thank you for your support!
The Silhouette Crafter’s Gift Guide
for Paper Crafting, Glass Etching, Fabric Cutting, and Heat Transfer Vinyl
Paper Crafting Basics
- 12×12 Light Hold Mat (Cameo) – has a lighter adhesive than the regular Silhouette cutting mat and is ideal for cutting copy paper or more delicate items.
- 9×12 Light Hold Mat (Portrait)
- Tombow Tape Runners
- Tombow Refills
- Zip Dry Glue
- Glue Dots
- Zig 2-Way Glue Pen
Other Paper Crafting Tools
- Scotch Advanced Tape Glider – I bought my ATG while preparing for my son’s wedding over five years ago and it has become one of my most favorite tools. It’s a lifesaver when it comes to working on paper projects!
- Xyron – used for cold lamination, applying adhesive, and making stickers/magnets. The Xyron works without electricity and is available in several different sizes. I have used mine for paper crafts as well as making double-sided faux leather earrings and it’s another tool I can’t recommend highly enough.
- Paper Cutter – yes…even with a Silhouette, there are times when you need a good paper cutter!
- Envelope Punch Board – such a fun tool that can be used for much more than just envelopes.
- Sketch Pens
- Pen Holder – allows you to use regular pens and gel markers in place of sketch pens. (One of my favorite types of pens to use is a fine tip Sharpie.)
- Brayer – great for adhering your paper firmly to the Silhouette mat. (I actually use my Pampered Chef dough roller, a more expensive alternative but something I already had lying around the house – and it works great!)
A fun addition to your paper-crafting tool set is the Silhouette Mint. With the Mint you can make your own custom stamps in a variety of sizes. The stamps are self-inking and the ink comes in 18 different colors (blue, red, yellow, and black are included with the machine).
- Mint (If you’d like to see the Mint in action, check out this video.)
- Stamp Kits & Stamp Sheet Sets (available individually or in a bundle)
Splurge Item – 12×12 Printer
I was introduced to the Canon TS9521C at the recent All Things Silhouette Conference. This wireless printer was designed with the crafter in mind. I was so impressed by the quality of its prints and the wide variety of paper sizes that I ordered one that same weekend. I love having the ability to create 12 inch x 12 inch Print & Cut files and I can’t wait to work with the built-in patterns!
Glass etching is a fun project that provides virtually instant gratification. With some etching cream and a stencil created on your Silhouette, you can create unique works of art. Stencils can be made with vinyl, contact paper, or shelf liner but I prefer Oramask 813 stencil film. Having tried several different brands of etching cream, etchall is the only one I now recommend.
The Silhouette can be used for so much more than cutting vinyl or paper! Once stabilized, fabric can be cut with accuracy and precision in a fraction of the time it would take to cut by hand. It’s great for quilting, applique, and so much more!
- Fabric Blade – identical to a regular ratchet blade except for color. Like a dedicated pair of sewing scissors, a blade used solely for cutting fabric stays sharp longer and provides cleaner cuts.
- Terial Magic – a spray-on stabilizer that makes fabric as easy to cut as paper.
- Heat & Bond Ultra – iron-on adhesive designed for no-sew projects.
- Heat & Bond Lite – iron-on adhesive used for lightweight fabrics and projects that will be sewn.
- Designer Edition Plus – allows you to import embroidery design files directly into Silhouette Studio.
- Embroidery Machine (Brother PE-770) – an embroidery-only machine that packs a lot of features at a very reasonable price.
Heat Transfer Vinyl
There are endless possibilities when working with heat transfer vinyl. Try something fun like Sparkleberry or experiment with different kinds of blanks (shirts, pillow covers, garden flags, makeup bags, etc).
- Sparkleberry Ink Monthly Subscription Box – includes not only HTV but adhesive vinyl as well. It’s a gift that will be enjoyed all year long! (Check out this post for more details and a complete review.)
- Blanks – check out the great selections at Craft Chameleon, All About Blanks, and My Vinyl Direct or purchase a gift certificate to a craft store such as Hobby Lobby or Michaels.
Heat Presses & Accessories
If you’ve been using an iron to apply the HTV, consider investing in a heat press. There are many sizes available and there’s one that’s sure to be the right one to fit your needs.
- Heat Press – I now own 3 different heat presses and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend any one of them. The choice depends on your budget, the space available, and how often you intend to use it.
- Teflon Sheets
- Rare Earth Magnets – used to secure teflon sheet to top platen of heat press. Can be found at places like Harbor Freight, Amazon.com, and hardware stores.
- Pressing Pillows
That does it for this year’s edition of the Silhouette Crafter’s Gift Guide. Have any more gift ideas to share? Pop on over to my Facebook page or leave me a comment below. And if you need help to get your Silhouette up & running, email me or give me a call. I hope Santa brings you everything you wished for this holiday season!
Until next time,
P.S. Don’t forget to download the free printable. Santa needs all the help he can get this time of year!
This post contains affiliate advertising. This means that if you click on a link in the post, I may make a commission based on your purchase. The price you pay for the product or service is not higher, and the commissions I earn help keep Caught by Design online. Thanks for your support!
Lycia is a lifelong crafter whose goal is to help others find value, confidence, and joy in whatever they create. She geeks out on using technology to supercharge craft projects with Silhouette Studio, Design Space, Glowforge, sublimation, etc.! Lycia teaches these skills and more through online tutorials and videos as well as in-person classes at both the local and national levels.